Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Because They Like to Do ...

The drop-dead killer programmers you want on your team, as likely as not, were not CompSci or Software Engineering majors. They're doing programming because they like to do programming.
I just read an article by Esther Schindler. The quoted text is the article in a nutshell. I almost agree with him. I believe the bests in any field were not those who followed a strict pattern. Mozart might have turned to painting if there were no musical instruments for which to compose, but there is no particular reason to believe that his paintings would be as good among the work of painters as his music is judged to be among that of musicians.[1]

I believe there are so many people wasting their time studying different fields without any success or satisfaction and that's because we can't just copy the success code algorithm and run it in a separate thread and wait for the results!

Anyway, it's not about having a degree or not it's about having faith in my mind. After all if I was a recruiter and my company needed a great developer, I'd choose someone with real programming skills who likes coding and to be honest, I'd prefer him to have a university degree.




1. J. Zittrain (2008). The Future of the Internet And How to Stop It. Yale university press.

No comments: